May 5, 2009

Kitchen Redo with Artsy Craftsy Folks touches! :) My new Primitive Kitchen Decor!

Pin It






I spent 4 days redoing my kitchen this past week.......finally the finishing touches were added today, the curtains I made and hand embroidered, and the island table was finished its final coat of paint.
The cupboards are birch, and had been coated with a clear varnish. So, last Tuesday the sanding began, and the sanding went on, and on, and on..........even with an electric sander! I then coated the cupboards with an extremely dark green paint. After dry, I coated with a high quality washable matte finish paint in a "creamy white". After painting in sections, and while still fairly wet (before becoming tacky), I used old rags to wipe gently over the white, leaving streaks that give it the white washed worn style finish of white painted wood been weathered.
I painted the walls "ground tumeric" on 2 sides, and the backsplash in white. I then handpainted the words "Wishes, Hopes and Dreams" on the backsplash and hand painted stars in the "ground tumeric" color!
My wonderful hubby, made me the island table in just a mere couple of hours. He used materials we already had around the house. Old window casings, and an old shed door for the top! He happens to be brilliant! I painted it with a washable black matte paint. The best thing about using the shed door for the top (although he had to cut it down a bit) it has a cool hole in the top, which is all worn and widdled where the hook and eye used to be, and bumps and grooves all around the edge which give it character and a whole new life!
My newest find was the PERFECT rocking chair, which I picked up at an antique store at a fabulous price! It fits in the kitchen perfectly and is worn in all the right places. I estimate its origin from 1920's, or 1930;s, and was originally handcrafted in Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia!

Now, its back to work in the studio, on some new designs........(although I may paint some CROWS on a few of the cupboards doors.....I just can't stop. lol

Let me know what you think of my kitchen redo! :)

No comments: