March 3, 2009

Celebrate Motherhood!

Pin It What do you wanna be when you grow up? Hmmm. This is a conversation my kids have often, and it was sooo very nice when they included me in on the action. As I was busily preparing supper, my middle child (who is 8) said, what do you wanna be when you grow up mommmy? I was flattered that they think of me as a peer...and not a superior.....then I wondered how to answer the question..... "Do you wanna be a teacher?", my 4 year old asked...."well, I am a teacher" I replied. "You know that I teach piano". The kids were suprised......."Oh yeah" said my 8 year old. I forgot about that. Meanwhile I am wondering how he could forget being drilled on his scales and all those kids coming afterschool on the bus for lessons.
Being a mom is such an important job with sooo many responsibilities and duties - and my kids think of me as one of THEM.....a playmate who also cooks supper, washes their clothes, helps them with homework, and wonders what she is going to be when she grows up. LOL
My days are filled with motherly duties, household responsibilities, being an artist, running a business from home, volunteering, teaching piano to 9 pupils on afterschools and weekends.......the list goes on a on.... as I am sure may mothers lists do.
BUT... my kids have reminded me of what really is important, by asking a simple question "what do you wanna be when you grow up mommy?" It reminded me that because I often drop what I am doing to play a game with them, or so we can paint a picture together.......that they also think of me as their friend, and don't feel burdened by the busy-ness of a mothers sometimes hectic life.... I remember my mom leaving the housework and everything else to make little dolls from old clothespins when I was little, or to make a dollhouse outta cardboard, etc........and its those values of mothering that have been passed on in me. I'm thankful to have the ability to work at home, and spend as much time with my kids as I can, and to make much of that quality time, moments to remember, like I remember from my childhood. I know my kids would choose fingerpainting over having a spotless bathroom sink!

Celebrate Motherhood! Everything else can wait until they grow up!(or go to sleep;)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Brought tears to my eyes.

So true and from the heart.